Things that make me go mmmmm...

Welcome to the things that I share, My page, My Life,. My thoughts, My ideas, My questions, My opinions, basically all
things that make me go hmmm.....

Thursday 25 March 2010

The Running Man

I have set a target for next year which is to participate in the annual Standard & Chartered Marathon which is very popular. Everytime I see it on tv, I've always said that I'd join...pretty much every time. And this year, I have finally put words into action and started taking my first steps to achieving this goal. I have bought the running shoes and have started jogging. Now, the only exercise I get is my weekly dose of football, which is great, enough to keep fit but not enough to lose weight, which is another reason for me to do more exercise.

I went for my first jog/run last night and didn't realise that even at 9pm, there are alot of runners and people around, somehow its quite inspiring to see other runners at this time. I was running with my friend who has actually done the marathon and obviously does alot more running than me (but then that wouldn't be too difficult, believe me).

The last time that I went jogging was about 1 or 2 years ago. As I started running, I was able to keep to a steady pace which lasted about 15mins....before I started to feel the stitches then I started to feel my knees, which I'm sure I could hear start to creak the longer I ran. 'Time to slow down' was now running through my head. Another 5mins down the path seemed like 20mins, I even had to double check my watch. It seems time was slowing down for me. Now I really was feeling my weight. From a steady pace to a very slow pace. I was getting taken over by runners, which is normal, but getting taken over by old ladies is a little bit intimidating...


After about 1 and a half hours of running and walking (most of the way), it was time to head back. Being the first run, I'm not really bothered about the time, as it was a marker for what sort of condition I'm in, and it seems my condition does not look very appealing... for anyone. The idea of preparing a year before the marathon seems like a genius idea (enough to win the nobel prize) now. As we walked back to my flat, I could feel the muscles in my legs expand tremendiously, now I know how those body builders in the Mr Universe competitions feel. I tried not to think how my legs was going to feel tomorrow morning.

I spent the day today walking around with 2 blocks of wood known as my legs. They don't bend, and they really are quite heavy, and pains from parts of my body I don't remember using suddenly slowly crept out. But as the day drew on, the muscles started to warm up and I was able to feel my own legs again and the pains weren't so painful. I know that the more practise I get, the easier it will be. So with my new fondness of endurance for the pain and aches awaiting, I look forward to the next run, and to which I say to myself in a small voice 'oh god, here I go again'

1 comment:

  1. How are you doing buddy? Need a little push? I been mostly walking these days. Only run 1-2K out of the 6K. Better than nothing, right? Just keep it up, will get better.

    ReplyDelete